Below is a link
to the website of ‘Buchbinderei und Prägerei Edmund
family’s association with this bookbindery in
Cologne, Germany, dates back to the mid-19th
Century and it was here that Wolfgang Schaefer
perfected his trade.
bookbindery – brief history of a family company
The bookbindery is
founded by Franz Nicolai at 6 Strassburger Gasse,
Cologne, Germany in 1840. In 1919, Anton Schaefer
takes over the company, eventually changing its name
to ‘Buchbinderei und Prägerei Schaefer’ in 1939.
bookbindery is destroyed by Allied bombing during
the second World War on 20 April 1944. After the
war, Anton Schaefer together with his Son Edmund
rebuilds the business, relocating it to 48 Gereon
Strasse in 1946.
Schaefer’s death in 1957, his son Edmund continues
to expand the company, resulting in a move to larger
premises at 24 Maastrichter Strasse.
Continuing in the
family tradition, Edmund’s son Wolfgang qualifies as
Master-bookbinder in 1970.
The company is
re-named ‘Buchbinderei und Prägerei Edmund Schaefer’
following the death of Anton’s widow Therese in
and his family migrate to Australia in 1982 and he
founds ‘Bookart’ three years later.
In 1989, with the
retirement of Edmund Schaefer, long-time employee
Hans-Dieter Jung takes over the Cologne bookbindery.
Ownership of ‘Buchbinderei und Prägerei Edmund
Schaefer’ is transferred to his colleague Dirk
Jachimsky after the retirement of Mr. Jung in
Bookart Home Page